Sunday, May 2, 2010

To work or not to work

So the Jon/Kate situation has mostly played its self out in public but after thinking about how Kate must be feeling I want to throw my 2 cents in. This is my vent. IF you don't like it don't read it.

I have been working since the age of 15. I worked forty hours when I got pregnant with Kylie plus I went to College full time. I then got married and worked for about 10 months and then had to be put on bed rest for my last pregnancy. By then Matt was in the army and we made decision that I would finish college and not work. I did put my kids in daycare but I also had them home alot. The plan when he went into the military was for me to get my degree and he would get out of the military. This would allow us to be in a better position financially. Well that is what we did. I got my Bachelors of Social work last May and when Matt left the Army in July I was looking for a Job. With the economy being as bad as it is/was we worried but we knew we would be ok because we had savings. Thankfully I found a job so we did not have to dip into it too much.

Yet I go to work on a daily basis and there are days I want to leave and never return yet I keep going because I have 2 kids relying on my checks. As for Kate she is doing what she needs to do to provide for those kids. If she did not work I don't see Jon running out to get a job so then she and those 8 beautiful kids would be on welfare and then she would be criticized for doing that. She will never be able to catch a break. As women we need to support other women and stop trying to tear them down.

As women we have to be perfect. We have to take care of the family and also in a day and age where the man can't provide on his own the wife needs to step up and help. While I know that SAHM have a taxing and tiring job I think that working moms have the same about of work plus they also have the stress and guilt about leaving their kids at daycare and going out to work. I applaud all working moms who do what they have to for their families and take a lot of heat from SAHM. I love my kids this as must as I did when I was home with them.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I join you in the applause. Working moms do take a lot of crap for "not caring enough" to stay home with their kids, or for quitting or giving up on being a "real" mom. But I think a "real" mom does what she thinks is best for her kids whether that means staying home or going to work. We all just do the best we can, and most of us love our kids the best way we know how based on what we've been taught by our parents combined with what we've struggled to learn on our own.

I can see big success in your life because of what you and Matt have been willing to go through in order to really provide for your family ... You have worked your butts off in different ways, and your efforts together have secured your "American Dream". I know where you came from, and I know you well as the best friend I have had all my life. And whether you work or not, I know you love your kids.

But really, all that counts is that they know.