Monday, February 18, 2013

Creamy Tomato Soup

I found this yummy and fantastic recipes over at Two Peas and their Pod and omg it is great. The thing that caught my eye on this recipe is the fact that the creaminess comes from Greek Yogurt. Now I am not a fan of Greek yogurt. It is not my thing. I have tired all the brands and can't get into. However when I saw this recipe I started craving tomato soup. So my plan today was to make this great recipe however I modified it a tiny bit and totally threw it in the crock pot. Any meal that I can do in the crock pot I totally do. The Greek yogurt has totally got me thinking of what other soups can I modify. Defiantly going to do this to my corn chowder.

My Recipe for Creamy Tomato Soup(Original can be found above)
Source: Two Peas and Their Pod with minor adaptions by me.

3 cans of pettier tomatoes with olive oil and garlic
1 15oz can vegetable broth
1tsp brown sugar
2 oz cooked orzo
6 oz of plain Greek yogurt

Directions:
Dump the top 3 ingredients into the crock and cook on low fro 6-8 hours. Prior to serving cook the orzo past about 6 minutes. While this is cooking remove about half of the tomatoes and blend. Then add back into the crock pot. Drain the pasta and add to the crock pot for about 5 minutes. After those 5 minutes add the yogurt and let cook about additional 5 minutes. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches or garlic bread. 

Please be aware this will rock your world. I will never buy canned tomato soup again.


Nutritional Information
6 servings for 1 cup each

Calories-104.8
Fat-.2
sodium-910.2- Little higher than I like but use low sodium if you want
Carbs-19.9
Fiber-2.1
Protein-5.4

No comments: